4 Pines History
Captain James Cook discovers and names Norfolk Island and its Pine Trees.
Norfolk Pine trees begin to be extensively planted around the Manly area. For well over a century they have been one of the best Manly attractions.
During WWII, 4 pine trees were removed from the Manly shorefront to install machine gun emplacements. A plaque on the stump of one of the 4 pines read:
“This and three other trees were removed for defence purposes in December 1941 when these shores were threatened with invasion. Their absence is a reminder of the many greater sacrifices made to preserve this fair land for the people of Australia”.
Many pines die from pollution.
New plantings commenced.
Manly Pines are listed on the National Estate.
4 Pines Brewing Company is established, Manly venue opens, the people rejoice.
Mike Baird MP officially opens 4 Pines new, larger capacity Brewery in Brookvale. Ribbons are cut, once more the people rejoice.
4 Pines punch through into the warehouse next door. With plans to install new toys and further increase brewing capacity the wall comes down – The people rejoice like it’s post-1989 Berlin.